It’s the last day of 2016 in the US, counting down to the very last hour and a half to be specific. With every new year, many look back over the last 365 days and ask themselves what they’d change to make the next year better.
I need to exercise more. Lose weight. Spend more time with my family, less time working. All valid and healthy resolutions to set when the slate is wiped clean and the new year begins a new you.
But for 2017, I’m approaching it slightly different. Rather than setting resolutions I’ll never keep and likely repeat next December 31, I’m setting GOALS. Personal and professional goals that have specific events tied to them.
- My son graduates with a BS degree in Physics in May 2017 and we want to take him to Tetons, Yellowstone, and Glacier National Parks as a graduation vacation. Building muscle mass, becoming leaner, and growing more limber are my MUST HAVES to enjoy our trip to the fullest.
- I’m approaching my work with a WORK SMARTER, NOT HARDER mentality. I’ve already begun plans for this, enlisting partnerships with friends, and looking forward to rocking the book world! The big day will be in October 2017, but we’ll share all the details way before then. I’m so excited about it! 🙂
- There are so many wonderful books published every week that get no attention at all. They’re not written by the best-known authors, they don’t have thousands of dollars of marketing resources from big publishing houses, and they get buried under the hundreds of authors vying for recognition. I’ve created a BOOK REVIEW page on my website just for reviews of these books. Since I haven’t been able to read much at all over the past year, this is my chance to force time to enjoy reading again. Not that I don’t love the well-known authors, but if they’ve hit the NYT bestselling list, you won’t find their books on here.
- Professionally, I’ve set my sights on a couple of sizable goals. With several covers designed and paid for, and several books started but incomplete, the first part of this goal is to FILL MY EXISTING COVERS WITH BOOKS. With each book I write, I learn so much more, have more ideas, and identify ways to make the next one even better. But I’m not writing to what’s trending–I’m writing to what’s in my heart, where my characters lead, what I like to read. If you feel my heart and soul in it, hopefully it’ll touch you in many ways. My goal is to release a new book every couple of months. That means less time on social media and more time with my nose stuck in my journal and my fingers flying across the keyboard. (My editor will be thrilled to see this, since I haven’t told her yet.)
- Accomplishing the first part of #4 won’t matter much without #5: REACH AND INTERACT WITH MORE READERS. My plan is to give you even more reasons to want to read my books. I want to create a buzz that reaches a fever-pitch in the book world that’ll leave readers no choice but to pick up my books, lose themselves in my make-believe world, and fall in love with my characters–male and female. I can have the best marketing company, with the best marketing plan, with the longest arm in the industry promoting my work, but none of that means anything with you. If you read my books, please leave a review. Tell a friend about them. Post your review on your Facebook page. Recommend them when you get a chance. Join my newsletter and be one of the first to know when a new book, special sale, or cover is coming. Every action helps. But if you do none of that but read my books, I will love and thank you just the same!
- Personally, I want to CULTIVATE MORE REAL AND LASTING FRIENDSHIPS. There isn’t one person in this industry who has “made it” on their own. Not one. Everyone has friends–to bounce ideas off of, to talk to during the frequent moments of self-doubt, to celebrate accomplishments and console over failures. I’ve had the distinct honor and pleasure of meeting some great people in this indie book world, and they will help make 2017 a banner year for me. Not because of what they can do for me, or what I can gain from them, but for the love and acceptance they offer freely.
I’m stopping here because six is an even number–and my goals are definitely a difficult stretch. But I’m up for the task! My eyes are fixed on the light of success that’s barreling down the tunnel toward me. (It’s not the train coming to run over me!) They say whatever you’re doing at midnight is an indication of what you’ll do all year. I’ll be writing and talking to you–and I’d love to hear back from you!
This posts to my “like” page, but since Facebook hides a lot of posts, I suggest you click FOLLOW on my other page: https://www.facebook.com/adjusticebooks, or JOIN my reader group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/angelswickedcrazycrew/
HAPPY NEW YEAR, my friends! I hope 2017 is your best year ever!
Lots of love,